Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Geography: One Subject Where Boys Are Ahead So That Gender Disparity Must Prove Discrimination

As I reported in February, Minot State University professor emeritus Eric Clausen has been battling the National Geographic Society in federal court over his claims that the national contest discriminates against girls because virtually no girls have won the national title, and it looks likely that that trend will continue this year. 

The 2011 National Geographic Bee Finals will be held in Washington, D.C. May 24-25, and the competition will once again be dominated by boys, judging by the names of the 54 finalists from the 50 states, Atlantic Territories, Department of Defense Schools, the District of Columbia and the Pacific Territories.  It's a little hard to determine gender by some of the names, but it looks like at least 90% of the finalists this year are boys. 

Thanks to Grace Nunez for pointing this out.

7 Comments:

At 4/27/2011 2:33 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Clearly, there's also racial discrimination because those of South Asian descent tend to win more Bees than those of other nationalities.

 
At 4/27/2011 3:01 PM, Blogger Benjamin Cole said...

And wut is the big deel about speling, enyway?

 
At 4/27/2011 3:31 PM, Blogger Rand said...

Obviously, the Heisman Trophy is discriminatory also. After all, no woman has ever won it.

 
At 4/27/2011 4:38 PM, Blogger Bruce Hall said...

My wife gets lost trying to input an address to the GPS... much less use it.

I tell her "it's a spatial thing."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sex/articles/spatial_tests.shtml

 
At 4/27/2011 11:27 PM, Blogger Methinks said...

I'm surprised. I have an awesome sense of direction. It's my husband who doesn't know which way is up - he calls me his "guide wife".

 
At 4/28/2011 3:45 AM, Blogger Ron H. said...

bunny

"And wut is the big deel about speling, enyway?"

The big deal is apparently about reading. This post is about geography, not spelling.

 
At 4/28/2011 3:49 AM, Blogger Ron H. said...

Methinks

"I'm surprised. I have an awesome sense of direction. It's my husband who doesn't know which way is up - he calls me his "guide wife"."

Let me guess: your secret is that you ask for directions, right? I'm pretty sure that's something your husband won't do. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home