Saturday, November 29, 2008

Gas in St. Louis Falls Below All-Time Historical Low

The chart above shows the cost of 1,000 gallons of gas purchased at the retail price from January 1980 to November 2008, measured as a percent of monthly per-capita disposable income using income data and population data from the BEA, and gas price data from the EIA and Gas Buddy.

At the current national average price of $1.83 per gallon, 1,000 gallons of gas ($1,830) would cost 5.22% of per-capita disposable income of $35,058. That's the lowest cost since December of 2003, almost five years ago. In St. Louis, where gas is available in some locations for as low as $1.33 per gallon, a thousand gallons of gas now costs only 3.79% of monthly per-capita disposable income, which is slightly lower than the February 1999 all-time historical low of 3.88%, when the retail price of gas dropped to 92 cents per gallon!

4 Comments:

At 11/29/2008 9:18 PM, Blogger oldwhiteandpoor said...

And exactly how is "disposable income" calculated?

I have a student loan garnishment of 15 percent of my "disposable pay" and by the time I actually receive my net pay, I am living on fumes.

 
At 11/30/2008 9:30 PM, Blogger Andrew Schaefer said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12/01/2008 7:22 AM, Blogger juandos said...

Interestingly enough the price of gasoline at most all the places that were sub $1.45/gallon are now back up in the $1.50+/gallon price today...

Today's entertainment nugget: "I have a student loan garnishment of 15 percent of my "disposable pay" and by the time I actually receive my net pay, I am living on fumes"...

Obviously college was a waste of time and money for you...

LOL!

 
At 12/02/2008 11:02 PM, Blogger LVTfan said...

Per capita income ... about 80% of us are below average these days, up from perhaps 70% in the early years of the graph.

I'd like to see this plotted against median income.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home