Fact of the Day: Hunting is Safer Than Bowling?
According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, hunting with firearms is one of the safest recreational activities in America (here's the press release and here's the fact sheet with sources provided). Based on the percentage of injuries per 100 participants, hunting with firearms (0.05%) is slightly safer than bowling (0.06%) or jogging (0.08%) and slightly less safe than billiards (0.02%), see chart above. The organization also points out that compared to hunting a person is:
- 11 times more likely to be injured playing volleyball
- 19 times more likely to be injured snowboarding
- 25 times more likely to be injured cheerleading or bicycle riding
- 34 times more likely to be injured playing soccer or skateboarding
- 105 more times likely to be injured playing tackle football.