Monday, May 05, 2008

Commencement Advice You're Unlikely to Hear Elsewhere

But you'll hear it here, from P.J. O'Rourke:

1. Go out and make a bunch of money! Here we are living in the world's most prosperous country, surrounded by all the comforts, conveniences and security that money can provide. Yet no American political, intellectual or cultural leader ever says to young people, "Go out and make a bunch of money." Instead, they tell you that money can't buy happiness. Maybe, but money can rent it.

There's nothing the matter with honest moneymaking. Wealth is not a pizza, where if I have too many slices you have to eat the Domino's box. In a free society, with the rule of law and property rights, no one loses when someone else gets rich.

2. Don't be an idealist! Idealists are also bullies. The idealist says, "I care more about the redwood trees than you do. I care so much I can't eat. I can't sleep. It broke up my marriage. And because I care more than you do, I'm a better person. And because I'm the better person, I have the right to boss you around."

3. Get politically uninvolved! All politics stink. Even democracy stinks. Imagine if our clothes were selected by the majority of shoppers, which would be teenage girls. I'd be standing here with my bellybutton exposed. Imagine deciding the dinner menu by family secret ballot. I've got three kids and three dogs in my family. We'd be eating Froot Loops and rotten meat.

4. Forget about fairness! I am here to advocate for unfairness. I've got a 10-year-old at home. She's always saying, "That's not fair." When she says this, I say, "Honey, you're cute. That's not fair. Your family is pretty well off. That's not fair. You were born in America. That's not fair. Darling, you had better pray to God that things don't start getting fair for you." What we need is more income, even if it means a bigger income disparity gap.

Via Cafe Hayek.

3 Comments:

At 5/05/2008 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If people didn't make more and more money then there wouldn't be more and more charitable giving.

Live From Las Vegas
The Masked Millionaire

 
At 5/06/2008 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is higher ed blasphemy, the parents in attendance would stand and applaud, the idealists, open minded, free thinking faculty, jaws slung wide open with utter disbelief, would be filled with rage that such words were spoken on their sacred soil.

 
At 5/07/2008 3:59 AM, Blogger juandos said...

Well its understandable why there would be an adverse reaction on the part of the leftist parasites running the government funded madrassas in this country...

P.J. O'Rourke's comment, "Don't be an idealist! Idealists are also bullies" is a fundamental truth about the leftists that can't let out to students...

I mean why else would classes in social justice replace regular social studies in high schools today?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home