1. The "Van Indicator" Signals Economic Recovery - "How can we tell how small businesses are feeling? Find out how many vans they’re buying (90% of vans are purchased by businesses). Van
sales were up 32% in July over last year, a greater increase than every other vehicle type except sports cars."
2. Average sales at U.S. car dealerships
are expected to rise to an all-time high of 805 vehicles this year, as the number of U.S. dealers remained flat the first half of 2012. The
average sales are on pace to top the previous record set in 2005.
3. The number of U.S. craft breweries
increased this year to the highest count in 125 years. It's the fastest growth rate since Prohibition ended, almost one new brewery every day.
5. The oil and gas boom brings scarcity of workers
in small towns in Oklahoma, Texas, North Dakota as many businesses and government agencies now struggle to find enough
workers. Reason? Most able-bodied people can double or triple their income in
the oil patch.
9. New York to London in an hour: Hypersonic WaveRider aircraft to be tested Tuesday.
10. Shale Gas to the Climate Rescue: Development of global shale gas could be the best way to achieve cuts in CO2 emissions.