33 Gas-Guzzling Buses, Trucks, Vans and Limos?
1) Change old, incandescent lights to newer energy-saving models (compact fluorescent lights), turn off lights when not in use and dim lights when in use.
2) Update your heating/cooling system to a more efficient model
3) Tune up old heating/cooling systems, clean out the vents, buy a programmable thermostat
4) Make sure windows are sealed and doors are closed when running air conditioners and heaters
5) Turn on the energy saver switch near your refrigerator’s thermostat
6) Make sure that your refrigerator door seals properly
7) Clean out the condenser coil on your refrigerator (can improve the efficiency of your refrigerator by one third)
8) Wait until you have a full load before running your dishwasher
9) Invest in green stocks and renewable energy companies through socially responsible funds
10) Eat locally grown food and fruits and vegetables that are in season (if the food doesn't have to travel far, there's less carbon dioxide from the trucks that ship it)
11) Eat organic (the pesticides used on crops releases carbon contained in soil into the atmosphere)
12) Buy recycled
From Streisand's contract rider for her last tour (2006):
1. The building will need to supply the production office with 120 bath sized towels immediately upon arrival.
2. The show travels in our own thirteen (13) 53 foot semi-tractor trailer trucks. Please arrange parking for the following vehicles:
Thirteen (14) 53 foot semi-tractor trailers (one merchandising)
Four (4) rental vans
Fourteen (14) crew and band busses
One (1) limosuine (artist)
MP: I think that totals to 33 gas-guzzling, fossil-fuel burning vehicles for Ms. Streisand, including 28 large trucks and busses. I wonder kind of carbon footprint that tour left on the environment?