Friday, August 01, 2008

Salary Database By College Major

The Wall Street Journal has an interactive, sortable salary database for 50 college majors, with columns for median starting salary, mid-career median salary, percent change from starting to mid-career salary, etc.

One interesting finding is that Economics graduates ($50,100) start out lower than any of the engineering grads ($58,000 to $63,000), but have greater long-run salary potential. Reason: Economics has one of the highest percentage increases from starting salary to mid-career salary, ranking #4 out of 50, with 96.8%, compared to engineering (60-75%).

Further, if you click and sort the last column "Mid-career 90th Percentile Salary," you'll see Economics at the top of the list with $210,000, followed by Finance ($195,000) and Chemicial Engineering ($194,000).

HT: Newmark's Door

3 Comments:

At 8/01/2008 8:29 AM, Blogger Ironman said...

Oh my - it's almost something I would do (I would have dropped the ".00" off of each of the salaries and maybe tossed some bar graphics in for faster comparisons). Still, hats off to the WSJ!

 
At 8/01/2008 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That chart makes me feel a lot better about my International Affairs major (listed as Int. Rel on that page).

 
At 8/04/2008 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would make me feel better as an econ major and soon-to-be MBA if I could find a decent job somewhere south of about the 32 degree of latitude. I never want to freeze in the wintertime again.

And really, where are all of these econ jobs? I've never seen a single job listing that asked for an econ Bachelor's degree, specifically.

skh.pcola

 

Post a Comment

<< Home