Thursday, June 28, 2007

Update: How Buffet Can Make a Gift to the IRS

Tim Worstall has this TCS post about how to make gifts to the U.S. government, and writes "When a campaigner (MP: or Warren Buffet) tells you in his speech that he thinks taxes should be raised, smile sweetly and ask him how much he added to his tax bill last year. After all, if he thinks you should pay more taxes shouldn't he already be doing so voluntarily himself?"

And here is the link to the
Treasury's website with instructions for citizens who wish to make a general donation to the U.S. government into an official account called "Gifts to the United States."

"This account was established in 1843 to accept gifts from individuals wishing to express their patriotism to the United States. Money deposited into this account is for general use by the federal government and can be available for budget needs. These contributions are considered an unconditional gift to the government. Financial gifts can be made by check or money order payable to the United States Treasury and mailed to the address below."

Gifts to the United States
U.S. Department of the Treasury
Credit Accounting Branch
3700 East-West Highway, Room 6D17
Hyattsville, MD 20782

Warren Buffet, take note.


At 6/29/2007 3:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do they accept invoices?


Post a Comment

<< Home